If you have any newspaper articles about Greb please e-mail me so we can talk about putting them into this section.



In this section are rare newspaper articles about Harry Greb. Just click on the years you want.


1920-1922 ...1923-1925 ...1926

1927-1999 ...2000-present (internet)



Aug 20, 1926

Harry Greb Made Defendant In a Heart Balm Suit

New York -- Just before Harry Greb went into the ring to fight Tiger Flowers here a process server stepped up to him.

"Something for you," he said and handed Harry a paper. It was a summons in an action for $250,000 brought against him by A.H. Bronis, charging alienation of the affections of Sally Bronis, who is also suing Greb for $100,000 for alleged breach of promise.


"But like all meteors that flash across the sky, Greb had to pass from the scene. Strangely enough, the incredible boxing career of this terror of the ring, ended with a dramatic suddeness because of a kind deed and thoughtful moment for the safety of his fellow men. For one rainy and dreary day, Harry Greb was driving over the Alleghenies. His car crossed the hill and descended to find two farmers parked across the road blocking the road with their farm wagons, as they were busy arguing about the right of way. To save the strangers from injury and possible death, Greb jammed on the brakes. His car overturned twice. He wound up in the hospital with a fractured nose. Later he had to have an operation on the bone near the base of the skull.


October 23, 1926

Harry Greb Dies After Operation

Former Champion Succumbs Following Treatment for Nose Fracture in Atlantic City

Got Injury in Auto Crash

Thought Mishap Slight, but Heart Fails to Survive Anaesthetic - Had Colorful Career

Atlantic City, N.J. Oct 22.- Harry Greb, former middleweight champion, and the only man to beat Gene Tunney, present world's heavyweight champion, died in a sanitarium here this afternoon, following a minor operation last night for the removal of a fractured bone from his nose, an injury recieved in an automobile accident at Pittsburgh two weeks ago.

Following the operation Greb fell into a state of coma from which he failed to rally, and death was attributed to heart failure superinduced by the shock of the operation combined with the injuries recieved in the accident. Attending physicians declared tonight that Greb came out of the anaesthetic fairly well, but not entirely. Later his heart action became very weak, and he gradually sank, despite the fact that every restorative known to medical science was applied.

Last month a cataract was removed from Greb's right eye, and he was in Atlantic City for final treatment of the optic, and for what he considered minor injuries recieved in the Pittsburgh accident, when his car fell over an embankment and rolled over several times.

Old Wound Reopened

The fracture of the bone in the nose, it is understood, interfered with his breathing, and he was advised to have it removed. So the operation was decided upon. In addition to the fracture of a bone in the nose, he was hurt about the legs in an automobile smash, while the wound in his head due to a former operation was opened.

"The operation was started under local anaesthesia", said Dr. Charles L. McGivern, physician, "and later during it's course this was supplemented by nitrous oxide and oxygen gas. He left the operating table apparently in good condition at 8:30 last night. At 10 o'clock this morning his heart began to fall and rapidly grew weaker despite the administration of stimulants until he died at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon".

His fiancee, Miss Naomi Braden of Pittsburgh, was at his side when the end came. The operation yesterday was kept a secret and news of his condition did not leak out until shortly before his death. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Pius Berg; his 6-year old daughter, and three sisters. Harry was the only son.

Greb Had Remarkable Career

The death of Harry Greb yesterday in Atlantic City brought to a close one of the most remarkable careers in ring history. That Greb, "the rubber man", the human windmill, the perpetual-motion machine, the tireless fighter wih an inexhaustable supply of energy, stamina and strength, had passed away was hard for his followers in local circles to believe. Expressions of regret were heard on all sides, for Greb's friends were legion.

Greb was a ring marvel. For boxing style and boxing activity he had no equal. A rugged lad, strong and tireless in action, he lacked only hitting strength to be equipped with perfection with every ring essential. He won two ring titles one of them a world's crown, and he fought whenever he could get a fight, irrespective of the opponent. It was no uncommon thing for Greb, a middleweight in size and weight, to engage a heavyweight and beat him. Greb's record is generously sprinkled with handicap matches in which his rivals outweighed him from twenty to thirty pounds and had corresponding advantages in height and reach, but he mowed them all down.

He was 32 years of age last June 7. His birthplace was Pittsburgh and he ade his home there. He was of Irish-German extraction. He started his ring career back in 1913, as a preliminary fighter under the management of Jimmy (Reddy) Mason. In his career Greb engaged in close to 300 battles, winning a majority of them. He earned a fortune through his ring work. He is estimated to have amassed a quarter of a million dollars, a substantial part of which he has invested in Pittsburgh enterprises.

Had Style of His Own

The death of Greb came at a time when he was contimplating embarking on a fresh campaign to regain a championship. Only recently he returned to the managerial wing of mason, after adjusting a difference which was one of many he had during his career with the man who developed him.


TO BE CONTINUED.............

His remaining fortune is estimated by friends to be aproximately $200,000



October 27, 1926

Greb Had A Glass Eye For Past Two Months

Right Optic, Blind for 5 Years, Removed in Secret Operation - Tunney at Funeral Today.

Atlantic City, N.J., Oct 26.- Dr. Carl S. McGivern, personal physician for Harry Greb, former middleweight and lightweight champion boxer, who died here following an operation last friday, today broke a five-year silence and issued a statement to the effect that Greb had been stone blind in his right eye for that length of time and had carried a glass eye since August of this year. His formal statement follows:

"Harry Greb was made blind by a blow on his right eye during a fight with Kid Norfolk, negro heavyweight, in New York City in 1921. He told no one about it. Several years ago he was advised by physicians and friends to have the eye removed, but refused to do so in the fear that it would be discovered that he was half blind and he would be barred by boxing commisions and promoters from the ring.

"I felt, and so did other physicians, that eventually the condition of the right eye would spread to the left eye and the gallant fighter would be totally blind. So last August he came here in the greatest of secrecy to have the operation performed.

"He entered a private hospital in Atlantic City under the name of Harry Brown and the difficult operation was performed by Dr. Gustav Guist, an eminent eye specialist of Vienna, Austria, who was visiting me here at the time. Dr. Guist's method, which involved the use of a special stone eye, was so successful that it was difficult for even a close observer to detect the difference between the real eye and the false one.

"The secrecy was maintained and it was given out that a cataract had been removed from his eye. I am glad to be able to tell the truth now, as it reflects credit upon Greb's bravery and clears me of any charge of having assisted in the removal of a cataract from a blind eye."


October 27, 1926

Tunney a Pallbearer

Pittsburgh, Pa, Oct 26.- Gene Tunney, heavyweight boxing champion, will act as a pallbearer at the funeral of Harry Greb. Services for Greb will be held tomorrow and Tunney has informed friends he will stop off in Pittsburgh en route from Dayton,Ohio, to New York, in order to attend.


Nov 21, 1926

Greb Gets Bad Break

Here is an exerpt from the article

About a year ago Greb's automobile was found on a country road with the windshield smasshed and a couple of fenders banged up. Harry popped up in a hospital. Slightly injured, they said.

"That was bunk," Red Mason admitted afterward. "Greb was daffy over the dolls, and he thought he'd do better if he had his face fixed the way Dempsey did. He had a sort of horn over each eye from being cut and sewed up time after time; sort of a lump, like an awning over each eye, you know. Then he wanted his nose straightened. But he was afraid the mob would would kid him for going to a beauty doctor, so he faked the smash-up and went in as a casualty.

"And the joke of it was," Mason laughed,"that when they got through operating on him them horns were worse than ever."